It’s that time of the year again. NYFW will be back at its finest from September 7th – 14th, 2017. Most designers will showcase next season’s Spring/Summer 2018 Collections but with the trend of showing in season creations, I am sure that some creatives will also present fall and winter items this September. With much confusion and complaints surrounding NYFW I would like to bring in some clarity with this short post.
Let’s dive right in! So there are 3 main umbrellas: NYFW the Shows produced by IMG, the same company that produced Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. Then there is Style Fashion Week who is also the major player during LA Fashion Week. Last but not least I have to mention Fashion Gallery New York Fashion Week which produces more intimate fashion shows ideal for designers’ debut in the fashion capital. Some designers such as DVF produce their runway presentation independently from all 3 umbrellas. Many complained that NYFW was too spread out throughout New York City but it seems that show producers took note of this and adjusted accordingly. Most of NYFW the Shows will now take place at Skylight Clarkson Sq on 558 Washington Street. It is not impossible to attend shows of NYFW the Shows, Style Fashion Week and Fashion Gallery New York Fashion Week you just have to plan very thoroughly and prioritize.
Now how do you get in?
You have to be invited by the designer
Contact the designer’s publicists and submit ticket request (comment below if you need a template on how to approach publicists)
Apply for press credentials
Volunteer in order to start building relationships with producers, backstage crew, and designers
The more established designers primarily show during NYFW the Shows, emerging and independent designers present during the other two fashion umbrellas. All productions are top notch and you will be pleasantly surprised about the quality of emerging designers, various Project Runway Allstars such as Korto Momolu and Dallas based celebrity designer Esé Azénbor have showcased during FGNYFW. If you are looking for a comprehensive schedule of all 3 production companies check out Fashion Week Online.
This was short and sweet let me know if you guys have any questions. I can definitely help you plan your trip and possibly get you into a show or two 😉
I am a huge fan of peplums, they originated in Ancient Greece and rose to popularity with Women of the 1940’s. Peplums were used to create a cinched waist and curvy hips, resulting in the perfect feminine silhouette. In the look below I am wearing an Esé Azénabor pencil peplum halter dress with hand-stitched embroidery from Esé Azénabor‘s Fall/Winter 2017 Collection. The fabric has a stretch yet keeps everything in shape similar to Hervé Léger‘s bandage dresses. The open back and zipper add extra sex-appeal.
Off Shoulder Top:
Lucille Ball, Brigitte Bardot, Natalie Wood and Grace Kelly all wore it. These style icons proved that a parenthetical swoop of material from shoulder to shoulder could magically make your cleavage look extremely appealing. The trend was brought back to life around 2014 and hasn’t left ever since. In the look below I chose a longer striped off shoulder top paired with white skinny jeans from Zara and metallic block heels from Asos. If you want to show legs you can even wear the top by itself if your going for an effortless look on the beach for example.
I have provided my top 5 makeup trends for Spring 2017 to help you look your best regardless of weather conditions. I’m not a makeup artist, so I reached out to some of my friends that are for inspiration on the following trends.
1. Smokey Smudgy Eyes: For years this has been the go to date night and after hours look, especially when you want to add a little spice to something nice. When creating a smokey eye get creative and use colors other than black. Such as a dark plum, forest green or even a deep maroon. Still need help on creating a smokey eye? Check out this Plum Smokey Eye Tutorial from SONJDRADELUXE.
2. Pastel Lips: This one feels like spring, almost like your taking a trip down the Easter section in Target. When I apply my lipsticks, especially for us fuller lip gals, I make sure to use a lip liner which is a shade darker or lighter than the lipstick I am applying. You can find pastel lip colors anywhere from Target to your local beauty supply store for any budget. My favorite bargain brand NYX, has a beautiful pastel lipstick under their Macaroon collection called “Pistachio” for only $5.99 at ULTA and Neveen Dominic Cosmetics has amazing plush and rose colored lipsticks.
3. Glitter Galore: Fendi changed the way glitter was viewed at the SS17 runway show in Milan. Glitter was seen as a nontraditional means of makeup and more as decoration or art. Models were adorned with glitter eyebrows and shapes placed on their bodies outlined in that wonderful unicorn sparkle. You can see a few of these images straight from the runway on Harpers Bazaar. If the runway look is a bit too much for you, go ahead and just make the eyelid your showstopper by creating a look like the one shown below. If you’re not sure where to find that perfect hue of glitter, try Cupcake Glitterz out of Dallas, Texas or Neveen Dominic Cosmetic’s Glitter Mascara and Liner for a more settled look.
4. Color Wash Eyes: Don’t worry I wasn’t exactly sure what this trend meant either, but thanks to Glamour Magazine they led me in the right direction. For this look the focus is on the lids and there are no rules to how many different colors you add.
5. Natural Glow: After all this is the simplest look and the easiest to create for my fellow non-makeup artist (makeup lovers). I am all about the bargains when it comes to everything I purchase. So when I’m looking to add a little highlight to the cheekbones, I use Makeup Revolutions Shimmer Brick. Oh, by the way its only $7! 🙂
Make sure to follow our guest contributor Maria Brown-Spence @EkelcticMaria!!!
Even though it is still hot as hell in Texas it’s time to transition into the beautiful fall season. My must have’s are booties in the brown to nude color palette, rust colored dresses and tops as well as over-sized cardigans and button down shirts. As usual I try to use garments within a certain budget that can be mixed and matched in various ways.
1. Dig into your BOYFRIENDS’s closet
For this outfit I chose an over-sized boyfriend style denim button down with an over-sized beige cardigan on top. Both items are by Black Kaviar which are either available online or in-store at Guns & Roses Boutique in Downtown Dallas. My distressed boyfriend jeans are from Old Navy and my booties are from Guess. I’m usually a minimalist when it comes to jewelry but choose a gold and pearled necklace as a statement piece. Outfit styled by CatrinaTheCreative.
2. Rust and Leather are IN
ONE Dress TWO completely different styles: Focus point of this outfit is the rust-colored body con dress, which I bought on sale for $5 at Charlotte Russe. The first look accentuates the dress with nude Aldo pumps a suede taupe jacket and a vintage nude clutch I bought from a flee market in Germany years ago. The second look is biker-chick inspired with a black faux leather jacket from Forever 21Forever 21, black Guess Stilettos and a tote bag from Black Kaviar.
All photos provided by: Demarcus Mitchell
Let me know your thoughts. Which outfit is your favorite?